Google wants to improve the Live Transcription of the hard of hearing. The company, therefore, releases two apps: one that allows you to follow what others say, and the other to filter ambient noise for noise.
Google Live Transcription and Sound amplifier
The World Health Organization estimates that by 2055 there will be no less than 900 million hearing-impaired people and people with hearing impairment. Google is working to make life easier for them. The company does that by releasing two apps: Live Transcribing and Sound Amplifier.
The first ensures that you know what another person says thanks to speech recognition. You see the words appear directly on the screen of your smartphone. Live transcribing currently works with 70 languages, including the United States. The app is currently still in beta. You can help with testing by registering for the test program. You do that:
- Go to the dedicated Live Transcribing website;
- Scroll down and enter your e-mail address and time zone;
- Tap the link in the e-mail to download the app. Do not you get it inside? Then try downloading the app directly in Google Play ;
- Then go to the settings menu, tap on ‘Accessibility’ and move the switch to ‘Live transcribing’;
- You will now see a new icon at the bottom right of the screen. As soon as you press this, the new app starts, and you see what others say.
Do you have a Google Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL? Then you do not have to download the app separately. Simply go to your settings menu to activate the service.
When you are in a noisy café, it is difficult to understand each other, even if you are not hearing impaired. Google wants to solve this problem with Sound Amplifier, the second new app. This program makes audio clearer and removes noise. The sound is also slightly strengthened. The only thing you need for this is a headphone with wire. That is how it works:
- Download free Sound Amplifier in Google Play;
- Go to ‘Settings’, ‘Accessibility’ and tap ‘Sound amplifier’;
- Connect your headphones and slide the switch;
- All the ambient noise is now being filtered so that you can better understand others.
Sound Amplifier was announced at the Google I / O Conference in 2018 but is only now coming out. In the settings menu, you can indicate exactly how much noise should be suppressed, which side of your hearing is amplified and more.